Friday, February 3, 2012

gorgonzola-apple quiche: FFwD



Yummy ... pretty ... scrumptious ... elegant, and yet sturdy enough to revive last night's leftover salad!




Ah, but first the tart crust must be made...and as a recent joiner, I hadn't made the tart dough recipe before.  It was easy enough, but kind of hard to roll out...I now understand the comment Dorie made about making sure the wax paper doesn't roll into the dough! Pay no attention to the creases in the tart dough pictures above...




I'm usually direction challenged, especially when it comes to size determination...you know, what is a small onion, a small apple (or even 1/2 a small apple), and even...duh, a small skillet.  But this small onion and small skillet worked well.


And even, what's a cube, or a small dice??? 


But with the egg/cream bath the pieces seemed to swim together nicely. Pop in the oven time!


This is another keeper recipe from Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan.  To see what others did with this recipe this week visit French Fridays with Dorie.  Bonne journée!  

12 comments:

  1. Your pictures are beautiful. I especially love the triptych. Did you use the gorgonzola dolce? Yours seems to have cubed much better than mine which was so creamy I basically had to scrape it off the knife. I'm with you on what is small or large but for this recipe I don't think it made much difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did use the dolce, since I'm not a big fan of blue cheese, the milder word was very important to me.

      Delete
  2. I am extremely dimensionally challenge. I just cross my fingers and hope :-)
    Glad this was a hit for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha - that's what I'll do..cross my fingers...beats holding my breath!

      Delete
  3. i didn't even realize I was supposed to use 1/2 an apple. I really need to read more carefully! The tart dough is difficult to roll out but worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I almost missed the 1/2 apple thing myself...

      Delete
  4. Direction challenged...I like that. I can claim that defect in lots of things I do. Anyway, I like these recipes that you can add or take away a little here and there...can go with personal tastes, as long as it all fits into the pan, in this case. I usually go with adding more goodies to mine. Your meal, especially your quiche, looks perfect. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your comment about the wax paper in the dough - its turned out looking great. And quiche is so forgiving. I worked in a place where the lunch quiche was always made with the previous nights leftover dinner vegetables...more, less, whatever works for your crust size.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this one too. I don't mind when something calls for something by size, though it would be helpful to know what that measures out to. I have to admit I hate when recipe calls for less than a whole fruit or vegetable. I usually end up just adding the whole thing. Glad this was a keeper for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have technical problems with cold fats and flour, so I used a different crust recipe. I love the three-in-one picture - what a great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos - especially the tryptech! How did you do that? I agree on the sizing of things - how do you know when it just says onion, or the like? Red, white, sweet, large, small, medium...anyone's guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tryptech (didn't even know that was the name for it!) is from an iphone app called Nostalgio. And I never even thought about other onion choices!

      Delete