Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chocolate Truffle Tartlets: Tuesdays with Dorie



Yes, it's good warm from the oven.  Yes, it's good the next morning, cold from the refrigerator.  And I have one in the freezer, so ___, it's good from the freezer.  (I'm guessing yes right now!)



The tart dough is almost foolproof.  Even for the fool that forgot to butter the tartlet forms (notice the shinyness of the tartlet form)!  Luckily, I remembered this step after the dough was in the forms in the refrigerator, but before baking them.  So I just popped the dough out of the forms, buttered the forms, popped the dough back in and plunged back into the recipe.  Whew!



The baked tartlet crusts, ready for the batter mix.



This is a very rich dessert.  In addition to the cocoa powder in the dough and the bittersweet chocolate in the batter, this platter holds the next ingredients:  chopped white chocolate, milk chocolate and biscotti.  Did I mention the 8 egg yolks and butter?



Platter goodies mixed into the batter.



Fresh out of the oven, cooling off for the 20  15 minutes (no, I couldn't wait).  This is a recipe that you can't use a toothpick to check for doneness.  There are so many chunks of chocolate inside that all you get with a toothpick is melted chocolate.  To check for doneness, just press down on top with your finger (quickly, they're hot!), and it if pushes in, it's not done yet. Springy, but firm = done!



See the chunks?  Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!


Would I make this again?  You bet ya!  It's a little pricey, but makes a delicious and showy dessert for a special occasion.  This is the second recipe for Tuesdays with Dorie - Baking with Julia.  To see other members' results, click here.

4 comments:

  1. Your tarts are definitely showstoppers. Thanks for baking along with me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tarts look great! I forgot to butter my pan too and it came out fine. In fact I don't think I every butter the pie or tart pan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice - fortunately most tart doughs have enough fat that skipping the buttering step isn't the end of the world.
    Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete