Friday, February 22, 2013

cheating on winter pea soup: French Fridays with Dorie

Another wow recipe that came out of nowhere, cause the ingredient list didn't look too inviting to me.  I loved it, older daughter Stacy loved it, Sadie was having an off day.



Hmmm...frozen peas, romaine lettuce soup.  Unconvinced it would have flavor,
 I used 4 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of my concentrated veggie broth.  
I will probably make it this way in the future.



After using the immersion blender, not very smooth.



Time to get out the big guns....vitamix to the rescue.



Sadie's bowl.  She was not having anything to do with this soup.  Stacy and my bowls disappeared too fast to photograph!!  Yes, we really did like it!



And one of my favorite moments of the Colorado trip.  At the "sleigh ride to a dinner in the tent" event, Sadie just ups and joins the entertainment that evening.  The entertainer went with it!  What fun for Nana!!!  And Sadie didn't even have any of the peppermint schnapps in hot chocolate.....


So this recipe is such a keeper that I now have to have at least one 1 lb. bag of organic frozen peas in the freezer at all times.  To see what others did with this recipe this week, you can visit French Fridays with Dorie.

9 comments:

  1. The VM does do the trick, doesn't it?
    I usually keep a bag of peas in the freezer, so this one was so easy (I only had to buy the lettuce!)
    What a great little entertainer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was good soup and so easy to make. Glad you enjoyed it. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my current Kitchen Aid blender dies she will be replaced by a Vitamix. I hate to say I am waiting for her passing, she's been a good blender, but I do want a Vitamix! Sadie is adorable and I'm sure added to the entertainment:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can´t beat the vitamix for smoothness. Lovely soup and Sadie is adorable as part of the night´s entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, that Vitamix is so going on my wishlist! Nice work with this soup! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Vita is one of the few things I don' t have that I always covet when I see others that have them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need a Vitamix!! It seems to work incredibly well! Your soup looks great…so smooth and delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the soup but my favorite is that photo of little Sadie- precious !!!This soup was a surprise hit in my home. My expectations were low since I am not a fan of peas. I will go for a thicker version next time and my guys definitely want a "next time". Dorie inspired me to play around with more soups as this was truly easy and tough for me to rationalize not having time to try. Apologize for the late comment- I had too much fun running around seeing the Barefoot Contessa and cooking and ended up with a miserable cold (but it was worth it).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been coveting my parents' vintage Vitamix for a long time - I'm just going to have to break down and get my own one of these days. We had mixed reviews here - I enjoyed it and my partner did not.

    Love that Sadie got up on stage!

    ReplyDelete