Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Whole Wheat Loaves: Tuesdays with Dorie


Okay, I wasn't going to make this recipe.  I don't like whole wheat bread from the store.  But I read some blogs this morning on Tuesdays with Dorie and they were raving, yes RAVING about this recipe...so I put the pedal to the metal...(the KA metal!).  Mine didn't get too tall, but I used a slightly larger bread pan...it's okay, they taste GREAT!  (I think I'm raving).


After first rise.  I used fresh ground whole wheat.  Had wheat berries in the freezer and ground them up in the VitaMix.  It worked great, I think it helped with the GREAT taste. (I am raving again, aren't I?)


I just hand flattened out each half of the dough to get it into shape for the bread pans.


Rise 2:  it took a little longer than the hour, but by then I was so invested in getting this recipe done.



This was my wake up call this morning.  Guinea hens in the neighborhood looking for bug food in my backyard.  Not the smartest animals out there, but certainly very loud.  Little Sadie came looking for them later in the morning....she calls them "Click-Clacks"...that's what they sound like to her.  It was a Click-Clack morning, and a RAVING whole wheat loaves afternoon!



While I am trying to do Clean Eating right now, I decided that half white flour was better than all white flour, so I jumped into the recipe at the last minute.  I was glad I did.  This bread is nothing like the store bought whole wheat bread that I won't eat.  THIS I will eat!!!  To see what others did with this recipe this week, you can visit Tuesdays with Dorie.




4 comments:

  1. Those birds can be quite the loud ones, can't they?

    You get a gold star for using the wheat berries! Nice loaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a delicious recipe. I'm glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you jumped on the bandwagon! This was a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't it just delicious? I added some wheat germ to mine and used the molasses. Your loaves look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete